Image Map

Summersville Baby Quilt

June 25, 2012

I absolutely fell in love with Lucie Summers' Summersville fabric collection when I first laid eyes on it at Quilt Market last Fall.  With that, I had been looking for the perfect project to use Summersville, when a family friend commissioned me to make a gender neutral baby quilt.  While at Quilt Market this Spring, I picked up Cluck Cluck Sew's new Inside Out quilt pattern.  Ordered some Summersville, and before I knew it I had found the perfect project to use Summersville!  :)


Although the cutting took a good amount of time, the quilt top came together quite quickly.  I used Kona Cotton Snow for the pluses, and absolutely love how the quilt came out.
 

I used a new long arm quilt pattern, and am very happy with how everything turned out.  The parents are NYC dwellers, so I wanted to achieve a modern/urban feel with the quilt.


Since it is a baby quilt, I opted to use fun and quirky alphabet print on the back.  I also couldn't resist adding a strip of the line work/binding fabric to the backing.


This sweet baby is not only getting a quilt, but also a stuffed owl!  Our family friend was interested in learning how to sew.  Like so many, she had a bad experience with her Home Ec teacher in junior high and I had high hopes of re-introducing her to the sewing machine and hopefully overriding her past experience.  I taught my first adult sewing lesson, and we spent four hours after church working on this cutie (pattern is Olive the Owl by Freddie's Friends).  I have to say that I was so impressed with her sweet little owl, and know that the baby will love it!  :)

8 comments:

  1. Cute quilt! Don't you love baby quilts? They are so fast and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt - it turned out super!! I love Summersville too - so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are wonderful fabrics that made a sweet quilt. The owl is darling too. I hope you were able to change her mind about sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I love your little quilt. Do you do your binding on the machine? I'm currently doing a "Finish Some UFO's Before You Start Anything Else" project so I'm experimenting with doing the binding on the machine. I'm not liking the results so far. Cute quilt!

    Cheery wave from
    Bev
    http://44thstreetfabric.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's darling!!! I love the pattern of the quilt top and also the quilting pattern! :) You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a cute owl! and i love how the quilt came out. you are rocking the longarm girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your quilt and that pattern. Must go and ad it to my grwoing list of pdf's ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt turned out so great. You really had a great vision. What a gender neutral quilt. And I love the back. The owl is too much fun!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments, and read them all! Thank you! :)