Image Map

Soup Weather in CA!!!

January 20, 2010

If by chance you haven't heard, it's been super rainy in California this week! The (very un-California like) weather prompted me to bring my CrockPot cookbook with me to work to 'study' recipes over my lunch hour (exciting stuff- eh?). The dark and cold rainy days equate to soup weather in my house, thus I prepped the ingredients for Italian Hillside Garden Soup Tuesday night, and with the help of Mr. D the CrockPot was plugged in this morning and dinner was ready when I got home (soaking wet!) from work!

I wish I could post a link for all, however this receip came out of a CrockPot binder/recipe book that I received for Christmas last year (it's a Costco and/or Sam's Club type book!).

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano, undrained
1 can (15.5 ounces) navy beans, drained and rinsed (I would recommend Cannellini beans)
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 cup frozen green beans, thawed
2 cans (14 ounces each) chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated sausage or cheese filled tortellini
Grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions:

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add bell pepper, onion and celery. Cook and stir 4 minutes or until onions are translucent. Transfer to 5-quart CrockPot.
2. Add tomatoes with juice, navy beans, zucchini, green beans, broth and garlic powder. Cover; cook on LOW 7 hours or on HIGH 3.5 hours.
3. Turn CrockPot slow cooker to HIGH. Add tortellini and cook on HIGH 20-25 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Garnish each serving with cheese.

Makes 6 servings.

1 comment:

  1. I love soup and don't have many recipes, this sounds perfect for a cold, rainy (or snowy) day.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments, and read them all! Thank you! :)